More than ever, it is very important to shop locally. This blog will combine guidance for you to choose your newborn/ child clothes for your photoshoot while shopping locally and helping small businesses in your community.
Why is it important to shop locally?
Small businesses contribute to our local community and are environmentally friendly. They reduce the need to import goods while often sourcing their goods locally, reducing waste and their carbon footprint. They also use sustainable materials such as wool, wood, etc. Their products are unique and are not available elsewhere, therefore you will acquire something that is rare to find and is not mass-produced.
Personally, when I shop I look for brands with values such as organic, sustainable, cruelty-free, etc. They have my full support.
When you buy from a small business, you are supporting your “neighbour”, friends and families! They normally provide a more unique and friendly shopping experience, whilst offering high-quality products.
Since COVID, small businesses had to adapt to the impact of the pandemic and this meant that many businesses actually didn’t survive and had to close down, which is really sad. So please, using these businesses to acquire some clothes for your child’s photo session, it’s a way of supporting them.
There is more you can do to help Small Businesses: after you’ve made your buy, you can leave a review (it only takes a few minutes) as it can help them immensely by attracting more clients. Word of mouth is the most powerful tool for small businesses so they will be very grateful if you share their details with your friends and family.
When I’m looking for services that are made in the UK, I usually use this app: YouK. Everything is made, produced or designed in the UK. You can shop by categories, values or even shop by area. I find it very helpful.
When you book a photography session, you will probably be thinking about which clothes to choose for your baby or child. You will want your child to shine and look as gorgeous as you’ve imagined.
For a newborn or child/ baby photography session, I recommend your child to wear the following:
- Soft neutral colours: cream, white, grey, oatmeal, brown, tan;
- Earthy tones like mustard, green forest, rust;
- Neutral textures
- Clothes that show their cute chubby rolls
- Clothes with large patterns (we want the photos to focus on your baby and not on their clothes)
- Clothes with large writing on them or logos
- Bright and dark colours
- Dresses for babies as they do not look very flattery and the baby nappy can show
Normally rompers, all-in-one pieces and vests are my favourites.
I will suggest some small businesses based in the UK that I recommend you have a look and I will also add some photos of examples for your guidance.
- Oliace Clothing:
- Webiste: https://www.oliace.com/ ,
Oliace is based in Liverpool and provides minimalistic, neutral children’s clothing.
- Rose and Guy, sustainable boho & scandi inspired children’s clothing 0 – 7 years made with organic cotton
- Website: https://www.roseandguy.co.uk/
Rose and Guy is handmade in the UK and the fabric they use is manufactured here in the UK.
- Miley & Moss is a British owned Baby & Kidswear brand offering organic, sustainable and ethical clothes in sizes 0-5 yrs.
- Website: https://www.mileyandmoss.com/
- Gracie Loves, timeless and elegant pieces for your little ones
- Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/gracieloves_x/?hl=en
- Winnie Woo, handmade children’s wear
- Website: https://www.winniewoo.co.uk/
- T E D children’s wear, minimalistic, neutral clothing: “When our son, Theodore was born I knew I wanted minimalistic, modern clothing in a neutral palette that would blend in alongside our lifestyle. Clothes that would withstand frequent washes, constant dribbles and everyday adventures whilst being kind to our environment. I struggled to find a brand to fit my vision…
And so I created T E D.”
- Website: https://www.tedchildrenswear.co.uk/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ted_childrenswear/
Clients who buy from T E D children’s wear will benefit from a 10% discount on all products using this code at the checkout: Vanessa10 .
- Far_thelabel, handmade in England, Environmentally and Ethically friendly
- Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/far_thelabel/?hl=en-gb
- Little Ones and Co., small business based in the heart of Cheshire in the UK, selling baby and infants clothing, accessories and nursery décor:
- Website: https://www.littleonesandco.co.uk/
- Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/_littleonesandco/
- Mabli, a family run brand based in Wales, specialising in natural knitwear for children, as well as an ever-growing offering for adults too.:
- Website: https://www.mabli.co.uk/
- Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/mabliknits/
I hope this is helpful and please let me know in the comments below if you know about other Small Businesses that should be included in this list.